The current principals of the Bibbiano Winery, located in the heart of the Chianti Classico zone, are the fifth generation to produce wine. Founded in 1865, brothers Tommaso and Federico Marrocchesi Marzi, have been farming organically and sustainably in order to pass a thriving vineyard on to their heirs and have been certified organic since 2011. Working only with indigenous grapes, they make wines in a traditional style and while the fruit for this wine is all from the estate, it is not labeled Chianti Classico because some of the grapes for this blend come from newer vineyards from outside the Chianti Classico zone. They have used a blend of 90% Sangiovese and combination of Canaiolo, Malvasia Nera and Ciliegiolo comprise the remaining 10%. The grapes from these young vines are fermented in stainless steel and aged in both stainless steel and cement tanks. The result is a lighter wine, reminiscent of Beaujolais in its structure, which doesn’t mean that there has been a sacrifice of complexity. Notes of juicy cherry, strawberry and other red fruits, bay laurel and forest floor, tea and violets. With its moderate acid, high alcohol and medium silky tannins it would be excellent with grilled, herbed chicken.